Sunday, October 17, 2010

Journal #4 Computing In The Clouds NETS-T 3 & 5

Johnson, D. (09, December). Computing In The Clouds. Learning and Leading. Retrieved October 16, 2010, from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/digital-edition- december-janruary-2009-2010.aspx

Summary:

Using cloud computing makes it possible to do many things on your computer that would normally cost money. With the budget cuts in public schooling it is important for teachers to be aware of the free help that it out there. Cloud computing offers a way to compose documents, spreadsheets, and create visual presentations without purchasing Microsoft Word or any other processing software. It offers higher accessibility because it allows you to save your work to any network so you can access it off of multiple computers. Downloading software and storing files on your personal computer can be stressful because of the worries about it potentially getting erased or your computer crashing. When you use Cloud computing relies on applications and file storage on the networks you decide to work off of making it easier on your personal computer and makes it available anywhere. Google-docs is a good example of a form of could computing, you do not have to download or upload any software and you can access it from any computer with an internet connection.

Question#1 How could I use cloud computing as a student?

I work full time and am a full time student. I go to work in the morning and go to class at night so I am literally gone from my house for the entire day. Considering this, I have to bring absolutely everything that I will need for the entire day with me in the mornings. If I used the concept of cloud computing I would not have to carry my lap top with me, which would make my bag a lot less heavy. The main reason I bring my lap top with me to work and school is because I am constantly working on assignments in between classes and at work. If I saved my work using Google-docs or something else like it, I would be able to access my assignments from my work computer and at the computers on campus.

Question#2 How could I propose a school use cloud computing?

When I get a job as a teacher, I feel it would be important for me to offer any ideas about ways for the school to save money. If the school starting implementing the use of could computing not only would they school save money on purchasing Word or any other software, they would have money on the computers themselves. Could computing allows schools to buy less powerful computers such as Netbooks because anything that needed to be saved would not need to be saved onto the computer itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment