Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Journal #7 My PLN NETS-T 2, 3, 4 and 5

Twitter:
I used Twitter to participate in an online educational chat and to follow people of my choosing who I think would be helpful in offering interesting tools for my educational experinces. The people or groups I chose to follow on twitter were a few fellow classmates like danjipt, deeKSalim, and mrdjrodriguez. I also followed, jheil65, calisafe, and usedgov. I think that it will be helpful to follow a few classmates on Twitter so that when we are all in the credential program we can suggest things to one another that could be beneficial. Following jheil65 allows me to keep updated and informed in many subtopics regarding education, and because technology is constantly being updated I thought it would be helpful to follow someone who is rather tech savvy. Calisafe and Usedgov will keep me posted on events happening in education on a larger scale which is helpful because any tips for teachers regarding current events in the sphere of education can keep me current and knowledgeable.

Delicious:
I used Delicious to search for and tag websites that I thought would be beneficial to myself during the process of me becoming a tech savvy educator. I tagged Ning in Education, US History Teachers Blog, Educational Wikis, The Educator's PLN and 21st Century Skills TeacherCourse. Ning in Education is a helpful website that allows educators to create their own pages and participate on discussion boards. It is a useful website because as an educator it is important to have the option to post a question and get a response from someone who is concerned with the same things that pertain to you. US History Teachers Blog is a webpage written by high school teachers for those who teach US history who want to find online content as well as technology that you can use in the classroom. I want to teach History so I thought that having access to a History Blog would be beneficial to me. Educational Wikis is a website that links to a list of articles and resources that describe how to use wikis in education, a comprehensive list of existing educational wikis that we can learn from and general discussion of Wikis in education. Wikis are important because they allow teachers to add/change the content in the articles so they are constantly being updated and staying updated is important in education. The Educators PLN is a website that offers educators the opportunity to communicate through their PLN's. It offers educators links to twitters edchat and can be used a communication tool for educators around the world. Being able to communicate with educators from around the world is hugely beneficial for new teachers and seasoned teachers because it offers the most broad opinion and suggestion base possible. 21st Century Skills TeacherCourse is a website that offers advice regarding high-school literature circles and how a teacher joined those cirlces with online discussion groups. It also offers a discussion board where you can post questions or comments and other people can respond back to you. I chose this even though I do not want to teach Literature because I liked the idea of using reading circles and online discussion groups because it keeps students communicating through multiple means, in person and online.



My Personal Network is Educators PLN It is a web based resource where people interested in education can post information and tools that are important to them. By creating and using a web based Personal Learning Network (PLN) as a future educator/classroom teacher I will be able to access any tools offered on the site from anywhere with an internet connection. I will be able to share information with colleagues, students and teachers in a more sufficient way because they would be able to access the information in its entirety from the website. My PLN is subject to any changes I make to it allowing for it to be as current and relevant as possible and it is a helpful tool in communication between educators who do not work in your district or state. The site has members that are prospective, new and seasoned educators so many viewpoints are available to learn from.

The Blog that I participated in a discussion forum on the Educators PLN website. It was created by Joanne Kaminski and titled Skype in the Classroom. She asked the question "What are some differnt ways that people are using Skype in the classroom?" I responded by providing a list of suggestions from other websites and blogs wondering the same thing. - Videoconferencing in the Classroom with Skype.
- Field trips. If students aren’t able to participate in a field trip due to factors such as budgetary or distance constraints, use Skype to bring the field trip into the classroom.
- Use Skype in language courses because you could have native peoples demonstrating to the class.
Skyping in Mike Artell- Illustrator & Author. This inspirational lesson has an illustrator working directly with 6th graders to work on the art of illustrating and story creation.
- After school help. Use Skype as a tool to provide after school help to students needing extra attention. Tutors, teachers, or librarians can be available at set times in the afternoons for student access.
-Interviews. Whether you have students conducting interviews or your class is interviewed, Skype facilitates the interview process. Individual students can interview other teachers or school staff, sending the Skype feed to the classroom for all to watch.
-Guest lecturers. Have guest lecturers come to your classroom via Skype.

No comments:

Post a Comment